Saturday, September 10, 2005

"Restoration Of Order" and The NRA-ILA . . .

¶ . . . I was horrified AND terrified when I arrived home yesterday and read this post by The AnarchAngel. It got even worse when I saw a video from ABC News, which you can find by linking here, courtesy of Geek With A .45. I really can't say what I would do if I were thrust into a confrontation with heavily-armed Guardsmen trying to confiscate (read: Violate my RKBA) my weapons (Alone, I guess I would take the advice given here from PawPaw.). I would guess I would lose. Then what? Resolve it in a court? That might be too late. Seems to me that having some kind of "assembly plan" proactively could prempt this, or would that right be abrogated, also? This whole thing sickens me! Here's the NRA-ILA's response, from one of their e-mail alerts:

NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 12, No. 36 9/09/05


NRA-ILA COMMENTS ON SITUATION IN NEW ORLEANS


Numerous media sources are reporting on a campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city. Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others--the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal. And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe. Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones. This is especially true when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help. At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux. But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly. In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.


¶ . . . Call me worried and fearful . . . Damn right!!

No comments: