Monday, October 31, 2005

Weigh In On This, Please . . .

¶ . . . I like Lever Guns. I always have, but I've never owned one. Though I am first and foremost an IPSC/USPSA shooter, the game of Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette has caught my interest and I believe I'm going to give it a try. Even if I don't take to that discipline, I still get a cool rifle out of it! My question: .44-40 or .45 Colt . . . ?
. . . If it seems like I know a little of what I'm talking about here, don't be fooled: I am leaning toward the .44-40 for some probably misguided historical reasons but also from what little I have researched so far it looks like I might be able to load a faster, flatter round than the .45 Colt. Are there issues reloading the .44, as it is "necked" a little? The only reloading I've done up to this point is for .45ACP . . .
. . . How about some rifle recommendations? I went and looked at a couple today for the first time, and I kind of liked the EMF Hartford Model 1892; the two I handled seemed to have "tighter" actions than the two Winchester '94's I looked at. The Marlins looked kind of nice, though a bit pricier. Let's hear it!

No comments: